Founder and Editor of Abnormal Returns
Adjunct Professor of Finance at Butler University
Record Date: 12/13/16
Today I had a chance to speak with someone who has been involved in the financial markets for many years, and worked a number of different roles. He’s been an equity analyst, quantitative analyst, and also spent some time on a trading floor at one of the big banks. He writes a blog called Abnormal Returns. In a world where there is so much information out there, and so little time to read it, his blog has been a must read for me for almost a decade. His name is Tadas Viskanta, founder and editor of Abnormal Returns.
Tada’s and I discussed the benefits of futures vs ETF’s, and chatted a bit about leveraged ETPs. I asked Tadas if traders should even be trading them without additional safeguards. His answers were interesting.
[bctt tweet=”Trading takes persistence and grit, it looks attractive from the outside. Make sure you are passionate about it…” username=”abnormalreturns”]
We talked about the past 20 years in the futures markets, and how far the technology has come. Tadas and I discussed the modern retail trader, and how their cost of operating as a professional is much less expensive. Also, how they have access to the same tools as a pro! We capped off the discussion by chatting about the boom and bust of the Forex market.
Tada’s is a super guy who gives traders and investors an incredible resource with his informative blog Abnormal Returns. I hope to have him on the show again soon.
- ETF’s vs. Future’s vs. ETP’s.
- Managed Futures; benefits and opportunities.
- 24 hour markets.
- Forex boom and bust.
- How has your trading evolved over the years?
- Let the markets work more for you than you for the markets. Fit your trading approach to where you’re at in life.
- What is the number one resource you spend your time on?
- Twitter and Stocktwits.
- Favorite Book About Trading:
- Market Wizards, Jack Shwager.
- Favorite Movie About Trading:
- The Big Short
- Best Advice Ever Received About Trading:
- When in doubt, get out. Don’t spend much time worrying about a position that isn’t working out.
- Advice to Give to Others About Trading:
- Know that most people getting into the markets aren’t successful. Know how to control risk. You must work hard and educate yourself. It’s a long process.
- Clip from “The Big Short” movie: httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hG4X5iTK8M
- “Trading has moved toward algorithmic strategies, if you can learn to code there are many opportunities for you…”
- “Managed Futures are a great tool to diversify your portfolio..”
- “If you’re trading around the clock, then futures are preferable…”
- “Trading takes persistence and grit, it looks attractive from the outside. Make sure you are passionate about it…”
Relevant chart pertaining to guest’s comments:
- “In Search of Crisis Alpha” – httpss://www.cmegroup.com/education/files/in-search-of-crisis-alpha.pdf